Designer, developer, creative coder, and musician
I’m a user interface / user experience lead at Salesforce.
Before that I looked after design and front-end development for the London-based crowdfunding publisher Unbound and the Melbourne-based social film site Goodfil.ms, and was the technical lead of the Clemenger BBDO ad agency.
I studied design and computer science, and I like the space between design and code. I also enjoy the blind terror of the creative process, solving difficult problems, and a clean sheet of paper.
I cannot skateboard. I tried, but it was a whole thing.
In my spare time I like to work on micro projects, from tools for creative coding, to tweet-based music videos, to random episode selectors for Arrested Development. I also like to write about web development, contribute to open source, and share design resources.
My work has been featured by Google’s Creative Sandbox, and has received numerous awards, including from Awwwards and the FWA.
I believe there are very few things that can’t be made easier with good documentation.
MediumAn Almost Static Stack
How create-react-app, with a couple of modern tools, can make building static sites (with benefits) a breeze
Open-source creative-coding library
An immersive webcam-powered musical experience
A GIF-powered music video
Landing page for the orchestral laptop maestro
“Charlie has a formidable blend of talents: a grounded, empathetic design sense, an artist’s eye for subversion, and the tenacity to do whatever—and learn whatever—is necessary to ship projects.”— Glen Maddern, Co-founder,Linc
“Charlie’s nicer friends will say great things about his creativity and empathy, which is true, but not interesting. Charlie has hustle. He works and he works and he works, and that is how he got so good at what he does.”— John Barton, CTO,Amber Electric
“Charlie has a unique, articulate, polished understanding of design, art and how people interact and care for one another.”— Will Dayble, Co-founder,Squareweave
“Charlie is a developer of exceptional talent. He is personable and fun, and these qualities made him universally loved by the team around him.”— Becky Bolton, Junior Developer,Unbound
Awards & Achievements
- 2019 The Ink Award, Heroku Hanafuda cards
- 2017 Typewolf, Site of the Day, Charlie Gleason
- 2016 The FWA, Site of the Day, Kōya
- 2016 AWWWARDS, Honourable Mention, Kōya
- 2016 The FWA, Site of the Day, Rugby
- 2016 AWWWARDS, Honourable Mention, Rugby
- 2015 The FWA, Site of the Day, I Will Never Let You Go
- 2015 AWWWARDS, Honourable Mention, I Will Never Let You Go
- 2015 Chrome Experiments, Tweetflight
- 2014 Futurebook Innovation Awards, Best Publisher Website, Unbound
- 2013 Google Sandbox, Tweetflight
- 2013 The FWA, Site of the Day, Tweetflight
- 2013 AWWWARDS, Site of the Day, Tweetflight
- 2011 AWWWARDS, Site of the Day, The Story of Mick Roberts
- 2011 Caples, Silver, Pop What You’re Not
- 2011 Award, Bronze, Pop What You’re Not
- 2010 AIMIA, Nomination for Effectiveness, Pop What You’re Not
- 2010 ADMA, Bronze for Art Direction / Craft, Pop What You’re Not
- 2010 ADMA, Silver for Automotive, Pop What You’re Not
- 2010 MADC, Bronze for Best Microsite, Pop What You’re Not
- 2007 Design Institute of Australia, Encouragement Award
Talks, Demos & Workshops
- 2019 Creative Coding London
- 2017 Master of Ceremonies: JSConf Budapest
- 2016 Decompress: Blending WebGL and video
- 2012 Web Directions South: You are a developer, the internet is your friend
- 2012 What Do You Know: So, you are great (and so is Less CSS)
- 2011 What Do You Know: How to make your life more awesome with CSS3 media queries
Masters of Computer Science
RMIT University, Melbourne
2011 - onwards (on hold)
Bachelor of Design (Multimedia Design)
First Class Honours
Swinburne School of Design, Melbourne
2003 - 2007